Sunday, August 05, 2007

Home Study(part two)

This post is just going to be about me bitching about how the OSS thinks that my life revolves around their schedule.

Yes, I know I could just sit back and kiss their ass so that they will place a child with me. It's not that I am trying to be difficult; it is just the principle of how you treat people.

Example one: I call my worker back 2 days after she had called me. I was not trying to be rude or inconsiderate, I was truly busy. Have I mentioned that I am teaching 5th grade full time, coaching the schools cross-country team, finishing my masters, and raising my son right now?(And since all of my readers are women I don't even have to go into everything I do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.) So if I don't return your call it is not because I don't care or want to, it is because I really don't have the time.

Anyway, I called my worker and we were discussing the next time she could come do a visit. The whole while she kept saying that today would have been perfect for her. Eventually, I stopped her and said that even though it would have been perfect for her, it would not have worked for me. She seemed a little stunned. Well, isn't that why I haven't called back until now? Maybe they are used to working with people who don't return phone calls just because; I am not one of those people. Also, I am sick of feeling like I need to jump through hoops just because I am adopting. I am all for all the steps and procedures that are in place to ensure the safety of the children needing homes, but they shouldn’t make it so ridiculously difficult for us adoptive parents to meet those guidelines.

We went back to trying to schedule a day and she informed me that her hours were only from 7:30-2:00. I said that since I was a teacher this would not work for me unless I have a day off. I said the next day that I have off is Oct. 25th. I also told her that we were just looking to adopt right now, a girl, between the ages of 5-10 years old. This changed everything. All of a sudden she was able to come on the 15th at 3:40.

So we have a day scheduled and she said the next visit could be at her office with just my husband. Yes, it has to be at the office because he is a man; lucky. That just leaves our last visit to be scheduled. Peter and I are really looking forward to adopting an older girl. We just know that this is His calling for us. I will spear you and address that in another post :)

6 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

ooo I reallt hope you have a good real good reason for that age.



hang in there,,,,

Amanda said...

I feel your pain, Robin. I am so sick of hearing everyone involved in the system complain about how they need more people to volunteer to be foster / adoptive parents, when they treat the ones they already have so shoddily.

The question isn't why don't more people do this... it's why does ANYONE do this?

I am glad she came around once you were clear about what you wanted to do. I hope the process goes smoothly from here on out.

Julie said...

They drive me crazy!!!!!!!! hang in there!

candy said...

i can't stand the system! all those kids needing good homes, and those of us with good homes to give... you think they could match us up a little quicker!

wishing you the best. you're doing a great thing seeking out that age - it's truly been a blessing for us. (despite all my venting!)

Lisa said...

5-10 year old girl!! No wonder her tune changed. I was gonna say just do what they want and then they're at your mercy, but if you're taking an older child, they should work around you.

I promise, it's much easier after you are certified...well maybe not but you have more control then.

GLouise said...

Wow! Bless you for hanging in there with the system.

LOL at her change of heart once you announced your parameters. Hmm! Funny how her busy schedule can change so quickly!